Monday, September 15, 2014

A Brief Visit to the University of San Carlos

One cold, gloomy afternoon last week, my sister and I braved the rains to pay a visit to USC (University of San Carlos), because she wanted to explore the possibility of teaching ESL at the USC Language Academy.  And why am I posting it here? Because in some ways, it is a journey to the past. Way back when, when I started college - I spent a year and a summer in San Carlos (that's how we fondly call USC) before moving to another school to finish my engineering course...


During my time, no cars were allowed in the quadrangle here below... it is sad that cars dominate this area today.


There is a way below the building that leads to the Gym and the swimming pool. In my time the Testing Center is on the right.  


It was not yet cemented in my days, and there were mushroom tables and chairs populating here which used to be a popular hangout of the students. Spent happy memories with my friends here...


That's the chapel there, but its windows are covered by the trees...



I could never forget running along this corridor afraid of being late, or queuing in order to read news bulletins...



I remembered the Science laboratories were on that wing...



The front door along P. del Rosario Street... the guards used to be very strict - if we are not in complete uniform during uniform days, like if we don't wear our ID, we were not allowed to go inside... of course some tricky students would try running past them...


The office of the Registrar to the right, as well as the Accounting offices...


Actually we were not able to make a complete nostalgic tour because we were short of time.  It's been quite a while since I was here.  But I am glad that the USC Administration took time to upgrade, update, and keep it in tip top shape. It never aged... never looked shabby. It looked almost exactly like it was before and maybe even better!