Monday, October 6, 2014

St. Monica Church Albuquerque Bohol (Bohol Trip Part 6 Day 1)

From Baclayon it was less than an hour drive to Albuquerque. Our next stop was Santa Monica Church in Albuquerque.

Thankfully the Sta. Monica Church in Albuquerque was spared from damages. When I saw it I was awestruck because it is like stepping back in time. My sister said there are also very old churches like this in the southern provinces of Cebu (in Malabuyoc and Oslob) and she wished I saw them too. I think I will have that in my bucket list. But at that moment I was fascinated with the thought that Sta. Monica church has been well preserved through the years...




Unfortunately we were not able to go inside and to look into the interior of the church because it was closed. We came around noon...

Church Door is very old


Here below is not a part of the church, but probably the old convent. It is not damaged by the quake, it is just very old...








The church still has open wide spaces surrounding it but not exactly a plaza. It helped preserved the look of antiquity because there are no new building in the vicinity...



Perhaps the inevitable progress will come here one day. We couldn't stop that. And then it will change the landscape here. There will be commercial establishments and maybe malls. And there will be many of us who will feel very sad at the changes. For people like me, we will fervently hope there will be well meaning people who will fight to preserve monuments of our heritage and culture. We can perhaps accept and understand if damage is done by Mother Nature, but what is unacceptable is - if it is man himself who will create the destruction ...